A fun-filled (and tasty) trail inspired by Muskoka’s love for cranberries!
This fall the annual Muskoka Cranberry Route is back for another season! Join us at more than 30 stops across Muskoka, giving you the opportunity to enjoy cranberries in a plethora of different ways.
Bala is the cranberry capital of Ontario and has been hosting one of the largest cranberry celebrations, the Bala Cranberry Festival for the last 30+ years. This year the festival is on October 14 – 16, 2022. This cranberry capital is also home to the oldest cranberry farm in Ontario, and the only cranberry farm in the world with its own on-site winery!
The cranberry love doesn’t stop in Bala; in fact Muskoka has long been crazy for cranberries! Across the region talented chefs, bakers, creators and brewers have been incorporating local cranberries into their craft for years. The Muskoka Cranberry Route pulls this collection together to showcase local food, talent and culinary creativity.
Tour the cranberry marsh, sip cranberry craft beer and cider, indulge in cranberry baked goods, taste cranberry inspired cuisine, and so much more! Your cranberry adventure will take you down some of Muskoka’s most historic main streets, scenic back roads and along iconic lake side views.
Plan your #CRANROUTE culinary adventure today. This is one crantastic experience you won’t want to miss!
Visit the Cranberry Marsh
It is only natural to start the Muskoka Cranberry Route culinary adventure with a visit to Muskoka Lakes Farm & Winery. Here, you can gain a true appreciation and understanding of how versatile cranberries really are before journeying on to the next stops.
- Take the Bog to Bottle Discovery Tour, an experience so special it has been designated a Canadian Signature Experience. This one-of-a-kind experience includes a tour of the farm followed by a guided wine tasting of their delicious wines. The Bog to Bottle tour runs all year and, during the fall harvest, the tour is a guided wagon ride around the South Marsh.
Take the Cranberry Plunge, one of Muskoka’s most exciting fall experiences. Don a pair of hip waders and venture into the cranberries for that iconic candid photo of raining cranberries that will surely liven up any photo album or Instagram feed! There have even been marriage proposals in the berries (they said yes)!
- Shop the Cranberry Store for some amazing goodies to take home like fresh cranberries, wines, Mrs. J’s famous preserves, cranberry honey, cranberry teas and so much more cranberry inspired delicacies. A must-take-home treat is one of their Cranberry Ciders or Cranberry Splash Wine Spritzers!
For more information, visit their website
Dining & Culinary
Muskoka is home to many hidden culinary gems and deemed a worthy foodie destination by food enthusiasts. With exceptionally talented chefs committed to fresh, local ingredients (like Bala cranberries), it’s no wonder Muskoka is starting to gain a reputation for fantastic food!
Discover the amazing tastes of cranberry-inspired cuisine at these great eateries and restaurants:
Bala Bay Takeaway: Experience several cranberry products on the menu, which are available year round and a few that available seasonally. Items include Cranberry Chicken Clubhouse Wrap, Halibut & Chips with Cranberry Tartar Sauce, Cranberry BBQ Chicken Wings, Cranberry BBQ Pizza and Cranberry BBQ Chicken Breast on a Ciabatta. Pair any one of these cranberry cuisines with an assortment of delicious cranberry beverages!
Affogato Café + Gelato: This year on the Cranberry Route, Affogato Café + Gelato are creating a cranberry gelato accompanied by other crantastic menu items. This is a must-try cranberry treat!
BeaverTails Huntsville: After shopping downtown, stop in to BeaverTails for a cranberry treat! Enjoy their mEHple Cranberry Tailand Cranberry Poutine! The mEhple Cranberry Trail is made with a Maple Flavoured Spread, Maple Sugar Crunch and icing sugar, topped with Cranberry Sauce. The Cranberry Poutine is made with French fries, real Quebec cheese curds and gravy, topped with Cranberry Sauce!
Huntsville Brewhouse: On the Cranberry Route Huntsville Brewhouse is serving up a specialty cranberry dish and drink. On the menu is the Cranberry Turkey Burger made from fresh seasoned Ontario turkey with Bala cranberry mayo, brie cheese, and crispy onions on a pretzel bun. Their special beverage is the Cranberry Trail made with Sparkhouse Ale and cranberry juice!
The Blue Willow Tea Shop: Feed your senses at The Blue Willow Tea Shop by enjoying a cup of tea or a savory meal while overlooking the beautiful Muskoka Wharf in Gravenhurst. Offering a Fall Harvest High Tea with Cranberry Apple Tea, Cranberry Apple Scones, Cranberry Turkey Sandwich and a Grilled Cranberry Brie Sandwich.
Cast Iron Restaurant: A local spot that puts a contemporary spin on pub fare food…all made in-house, fresh and with passion! During the Cranberry Route they are offering up the Cast Iron Red Cranberry Sangria.
Bracebridge Barrelhouse: On the Cranberry Route stop by for a bite and a bevvie, and be sure to try their cranberry menu items. The in house smoked turkey breast sandwich with cranberry mayonnaise, brie, prosciutto, lettuce, tomato on a toasted ciabatta bun is a must-try! Wash that down with the Cranberry Trail specialty drink made with Sparkhouse Ale and cranberry juice!
Tall Trees: On the Cranberry Route indulge in their breaded 10oz pork chop with cranberry, lemon and thyme chutney, served over roasted fingerling potatoes, and seasonal vegetables.
Hotels/Resorts Dining Options
Check out the collection of hotels and resorts offering specialty food and drink for cranberry season. Available for overnight guests or public access. Reservations recommended.
Deerhurst Resort: The Compass Grill & Lounge is serving up an entire menu’s worth of delish and decadent cranberry dishes! With features like The Crispy Duck Drumettes with a Bala cranberry reduction sauce, Butternut Squash Ravioli with pickled cranberries, Pumpkin Crème Brûlée with a cranberry chutney and much more on the menu! There are no reservations needed here.
Touchstone Grill: Touchstone Grill is serving up a variety of cranberry inspired items on their menu, including the Grand Muskokan Martini as well as the famous Touchstone Salad. Create memories at the one-of-a-kind Touchstone Grill and awaken your senses through sight, smell and taste!
Taboo Muskoka: Dine at the Boathouse Restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The Boathouse Restaurant overlooks beautiful Lake Muskoka and offers ample seating for Muskoka residents, resort guests and cottagers! Come enjoy a delicious cranberry inspired breakfast for two when you book during the Cranberry Route!
Inn at the Falls: Basilico, an Italian restaurant and outdoor patio, overlooks the Muskoka River and is located right at Inn at the Falls. Enjoy the signature cranberry dish: Baked Brie.
Muskoka Bay Resort: At Cliffside Restaurant & Terrace During the Cranberry Route Muskoka Bay Resort is serving up special cocktails in celebration of this little berry, including a Cranberry Margarita and Cranberry Breeze. Pair these beverages with their Cranberry Butternut Squash Risotto for the full cranberry experience!
Sherwood Inn: Located just 8 minutes away from Muskoka Lakes Farm & Winery, soak in the cranberry festivities during the day and return to Sherwood Inn for a meal from their acclaimed restaurant; featuring a Cranberry Baked Brie!
Crack a pint, stop in for samples and discover great local craft breweries. Be sure to bring some craft pints home to enjoy throughout the harvest, taking a bit of Muskoka home with you!
Try these delicious cranberry-inspired craft brews:
Clear Lake Brewing Company: Find this local brewery downtown Torrance, just off of Southwood road. The Cranberry Radler is a refreshing beverage made with Muskoka cranberry juice. Pair the Cranberry Radler with any one of the delicious cranberry featured menu items!
Canvas Brewing: Canvas Brewing Company is Huntsville’s hometown craft brewery, born out of a love for the local landscape and a passion for fresh, well-made craft beer. En route during the cranberry harvest season stop in for a thirst quenching cranberry inspired cocktail as well as a cranberry infused beer.
Sawdust City Brewing: Sawdust City Brewing is Gravenhurst’s go-to craft, local brewery with a delicious menu. During the Cranberry Route, stop in and enjoy their cranberry beer as well as the cranberry inspired menu options.
Muskoka Brewery: The Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout is rich and sturdy with roasted dark chocolate malts, real cocoa, 70% dark chocolate, and freshly harvested local cranberries.
Lake of Bays Brewing Co.: Visit the brewery in Baysville to try their special beverage: the Cranberry Trail made with Sparkhouse Ale and cranberry juice!
Visit these route stops and bring the cranberry harvest home with you to enjoy year round!
Bala Freshmart: Don’t forget to pick up some of their famous pure pork Cranberry Sausages, the perfect hearty fall BBQ headliner. The sweet and savoury combination is a match made in heaven. Pair with fresh-baked buns for a delicious cranberry dinner you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home. Available fresh or frozen.
Muskoka Olive Oil Co. / North Country Fudge: Muskoka Olive Oil Co. is offering up a unique spin on olive oil: a Cranberry Pear Olive Oil! As well, they will be making a delectable Cranberry Fudge, perfect to enjoy there or take home. They also carry cranberry jams, cranberry mixed nuts and so much more.
Field of Greens & Torrance General: Field of Greens is serving up an assortment of cranberry treats! From assorted baked goods featuring cranberries – cookies, loaves, squares, pies, tarts – to peameal on a bun with local cranberry mayo and more. They will also be offering a variety of packaged cranberry products from Johnston’s Cranberry Marsh. There will also be delicious fall themed lattes and coffee beverages to stay cozy!
Unique Muskoka: Situation downtown Bracebridge, visit Unique Muskoka for special cranberry offerings like Yummies in a Jar cranberry jam.
Rich Hill Candles: Take home the aromatic scents of harvest season with cranberry inspired candles. Choose from a variety of formats that will match any decor style. Every time you light this cranberry candle, it will bring up the fond memories of Muskoka’s Cranberry Route.
Henrietta’s Pine Bakery: Visit this family owned and operated bakery as you make your way through the Cranberry Route and indulge in their delicious cranberry-inspired baked goods!
Soapstones Natural Skincare: A Canadian-based natural skincare company located in Huntsville. TO celebrate this little berry, they have come out with a full line of Muskoka Cranberry skincare products!
The Shipyards: On the Cranberry Route, The Wheelhouse inside The Shipyards will be offering Starbucks Coffee and special package of delicious homemade Cranberry Tarts. The 30+ artists and vendors will showcase their cranberry products including: Cranberry jams, chutneys, sauces, candles, house wares and more!
Muskoka BeerSpa: Spa day visits or and overnight accommodation available. Introducing the 2 Beer Cranberry Pedicure! While spending your day at this quintessential Canadian spa, enjoy the opportunity to purchase a pint and settle in for a cranberry infused foot soak, scrub and massage. Seriously. Two beers, one for your feet, one for your face and both with cranberries if you wish! Be sure to check the website for more great Cranberry season offers! Overnight packages available.
Muskoka Wake – Wander and Waves Coffee Co.: Located right outside Muskoka’s premier water sports school, Wander & Waves is Muskoka Lakes specialty coffee trailer serving up fresh, locally roasted coffees, snacks + more. From iced, made-with-love lattes to grab and go drink selections, Wander & Wake have a little something for everyone. For Cranberry season they are offering a special, locally source Cranberry Tea.
Jack & Stella: The perfect place to stop-in and enjoy all it has to offer, especially during the Cranberry Route. The cafe will be serving up a special Cranberry Loaf, Stella’s Lounge will have cranberry inspired cocktails, and Georgie’s Li’l Doughnuts will delight you with cranberry flavoured doughnuts. Visit them over the Cranberry Festival weekend on October 15 for a mini market, where you’ll find handmade goods created by local artisans and small business, as well as live music dockside in the afternoon.
Muskoka is brilliant during the fall season, and a Muskoka Cranberry Route culinary adventure is the perfect excuse for a fall getaway. Stay at one of these great Muskoka Cranberry Route accommodation partners:
- Muskoka BeerSpa (Torrance) Spend the night in reimagined glamping cabins complete with in room draught taps, complimentary junk food, delivered morning pastries and more. In celebration of the cranberry harvest, try the new 2 Beer Cranberry Pedicure!
- Residence Inn by Marriott (Gravenhurst) A beautiful lakeside view of Lake Muskoka right from the Gravenhurst Wharf that the whole family will enjoy. The Residence Inn is ready to welcome you with a cranberry inspired package as well as cranberry options during breakfast.
- Club Muskoka: (Between Gravenhurst and Bala) Stay for two nights from Sept.19 – Oct.16 and receive a free cranberry themed snack pack valued at $30. Ready and waiting to be enjoyed upon your arrival. Book today at email@example.com
- Muskoka Bay Resort (Gravenhurst) Along with their cranberry inspired menu items, Muskoka Bay Resort is offering a Cranberry Getaway Package.
- Taboo Muskoka (Gravenhurst) Book the Bala Cranberry Tour Bed & Breakfast Package which includes a one night accommodation in the Premier Lakeview Rooms, a bottle of Muskoka Lakes Cranberry Wine, breakfast for two in the Boathouse Restaurant. This package starts at $214 per person.
- Inn at the Falls (Bracebridge) Inn at the Falls is offering 10% off your stay when you spend 2 or more nights or 8% off when you spend 1 night. Be sure to check out their restaurant for some delicious eats and amazing views!
- Jayne’s Cottages (Across Muskoka) Jayne will help you select a Luxury Muskoka Cottage Rental to meet your needs. Also count on Jayne’s concierge services to help with vacation planning. Book your stay during the Cranberry Route period and enjoy a Cranberry basket upon arrival including local cranberry treats.
- JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa: (Minett) Stop by the JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka to see how they are celebrating cranberries this season during the Cranberry Route!
- Sherwood Inn (Port Carling) Located just outside of Port Carling, overnight guests can enjoy a special cranberry dessert made specially by the Chef.
- Christie’s Mill Inn and Spa (Port Severn) Get away from the everyday at the picture perfect lakefront Christie’s Mill Inn & Spa. Unwind in your comfortable and tastefully adorned guest room, and take a moment to put your feet up by the fireplace or on your patio overlooking the lake or gardens.
- Jypsy Inn – (Bracebridge) This boutique inn/hotel in Muskoka has seven themed suites and is perfect for a romantic couples getaway are a weekend away with friends. Cranberry package includes cranberry loaf and Muskoka Lakes Farm and Winery wine upon arrival.
- The Dudley Inn (Bala) Beautiful, brand new renovation! Contemporary boutique hideaway outfitted with 6 quiet, clean suites. Located minutes from Muskoka Lakes Farm and Winery with a bottle of the local wine included with your overnight stay.